In my homeroom, I do not have any ESOL students, but my team teacher is the ESOL teacher for the grade level, meaning she has seven students who speak English as a second language. One does not speak English at all. Two students came from another country this year. Needless to say, I am ECSTATIC to work with them because it's something I have rarely done before.
I have approximately 1,500 books-- and only about ten of them are in Spanish. So first, I am looking to expand my collection a bit, and second, I am looking for wonderful online (and offline) resources. Here are a few FANTASTIC resources I located. I don't exactly know what I plan too purchase.
- Lee y Seras is the first website, which is partially sponsored by Scholastic. There are two digital stories on the website that can be viewed in both Spanish and English, which I really enjoy. For a 30-minute technology center rotation, it is great to have a student watch both videos. This covers two rotations.
- Cody's Cuentos has audio podcasts.
- This is a .pdf collection of elementary stories written in Spanish, gradually increasing in difficulty. It also includes a English/Spanish glossary.
- Reading A-Z also has its leveled readers in Spanish, which I never noticed before. I am excited because I have many of their leveled readers in English-- and I can test my non-English speaker or any incoming non-English speakers for their reading levels in Spanish. (That excites me GREATLY! It is great to know how my student was as a reader in his native country.) That also means... I will have leveled readers about SPACE in Spanish! (Huge grin.)
- Ten Spanish chapter books for grades 3-5 from Scholastic ($38.00) Here are more for $19.50 as well as numerous other titles, sold separately.
- Stephanie Harvey's book, Scaffolding the Comprehension Toolkit for English Language Learners.
- National Geographic Kids videos in Spanish
- National Geographic Kids Spanish edition for iPad
- English/Spanish Read and Understand Fiction Book, grades 4-6 (25 selections)
- SciGirls guides in Spanish and English